IEEE STEM Champion Program
Are you conducting IEEE STEM outreach events for pre-university students or educators in your local community on behalf of IEEE? Would you like to help inspire other volunteers to get involved in STEM outreach? Then, we want to hear from you!
The IEEE STEM Champion Program was developed to recognize IEEE volunteers for their contributions to pre-university STEM education and to build a community of pre-university IEEE STEM outreach volunteers. The program resides under TryEngineering.org and works in partnership with the Volunteer STEM Portal.
The 2023 application window has closed. All active IEEE Members are invited to submit an application during the open window to be considered as an IEEE STEM Champion. The applications are reviewed and those who meet specific criteria are selected. Champion applications are reviewed and additional Champions selected annually.
What are the Benefits of Being Selected as a STEM Champion?
- Recognition for your contributions to pre-university STEM education
- Opportunity to be involved in a community of STEM outreach volunteers
- Grant funding opportunity
- Opportunity to build Region and Section awareness of your work
- Ability to support IEEE pre-university education metrics by sharing your events and event results
- Access to Champion-specific STEM outreach resources
Who is Eligible?
All active IEEE Members conducting STEM outreach for pre-university students and/or teachers on behalf of IEEE. Champions will be selected across all Regions.
Note: The IEEE STEM Champion title is a designation given to an individual IEEE volunteer. It is not a Region or Section officer position.
What are the Responsibilities of an IEEE STEM Champion?
IEEE STEM Champions will:
- Conduct a minimum of two (2) pre-university STEM outreach events between 1 May, 2023 and 26 April, 2024. (This may be in-person or virtually.)
- Post the events and share the results in the IEEE vTools platform by 26 April, 2024
- Join the Pre-University STEM Community through your member account by 31 May 2023
- Complete one volunteer training course within 60 days of launch (launching Summer 2023)
- Promote IEEE’s pre-university education programs
- Help build IEEE’s pre-university STEM outreach volunteer community
What are the Selection Criteria?
Applications will be reviewed using the following criteria:
- Statement on the pre-university STEM outreach work you’ve been doing on behalf of IEEE.
- Statement on how you plan to help contribute to IEEE’s pre-university education community.
- Current level of engagement in IEEE pre-university education programs (i.e. TryEngineering.org, social media, Volunteer STEM Portal, STEM Summit).
What is the Submission Date and Timeline?
- Application window closed on 10 April, 2023 (11:59pm ET)
- Applications reviewed in late April
- Selections announced in early May