This lesson demonstrates how a hydraulic pump works. Students work in teams to design and build a unique water fountain that employs a hydraulic pump.
10 – 18
- Explore hydraulic pumps.
- Design & build a water fountain.
- Implement the engineering design process to solve the design challenge.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will have:
- Explored hydraulic pumps.
- Designed & built a water fountain.
- Implemented the engineering design process to solve the design challenge.
Students discuss water fountains and pumps. Student teams then observe a demonstration of a hydraulic pump. Next they will design, build, test, and redesign their own unique water fountain. Each team will demonstrate their water fountain and share their responses to reflection questions.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.