Demonstrate how two switches interact in an electrical circuit such as that used to sound a buzzer. Note: This lesson plan is designed for classroom use only, with supervision by a teacher familiar with electrical and electronic concepts.
8 – 14
- Learn how switches control the flow of electricity.
- Learn to draw basic wiring diagrams.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- circuits and current
- basic electrical diagrams
- making and testing predictions
Students learn how two buttons (switches) can control a buzzer. Student groups then draw a schematic of a two button buzzer circuit and build a model of the circuit using wires, a battery, buttons (switches) and a buzzer. Final schematics are shared with other groups, with results and findings discussed as a class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.