This lesson focuses on trebuchet design. Teams of students construct trebuchets from everyday materials. They then test their trebuchets to determine the farthest distance they can hit a target with a marshmallow projectile.
12 – 18
- Design and build a trebuchet
- Test and refine their designs
- Communicate their design process and results
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will have:
- Designed and built a trebuchet
- Tested and refined their designs
- Communicated their design process and results
In this lesson, students work in teams of “engineers” to design and build their own trebuchet out of everyday items. They test their trebuchet, evaluate their results, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.