This lesson introduces students to the engineering design process (EDP)—the process engineers use to solve design challenges. Students work in teams to solve the challenge by designing both a product and process to safely remove “toxic” popcorn and save the city.
8 – 18
- Apply the engineering design process to solve a design challenge.
- Build, test, and redesign a prototype.
- Employ teamwork and communication to successfully solve the challenge.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will have:
- Applied the engineering design process to solve a design challenge.
- Built, tested, and redesigned a prototype.
- Employed teamwork and communication to successfully solve the challenge.
Teams of students use the engineering design process to solve the Toxic Popcorn Challenge. The lesson closes with students sharing all they learned and discussing the answers to the many questions they had at the beginning of the lesson.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.