In this lesson, students build spinning tops out of everyday materials. Their challenge is to design a spinning top that can spin for at least 10 seconds within a circle 30 cm in diameter.
8 – 18
- Design and build a spinning top
- Test and refine their designs
- Communicate their design process and results
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will have:
- Designed and built a spinning top
- Tested and refined their designs
- Communicated their design process and results
Students work in teams to design and build their own spinning top out of everyday materials. Their top must be able to spin for at least 10 seconds within an area 30 cm in diameter. Student teams review their own designs, the designs of other teams, and present their findings to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.