Lesson focuses on sports engineering and advanced materials development. Students work in a team to devise a racquet out of everyday materials that can consistently hit a ball to a target. Students design their racquet on paper, build the racquet, and test it. All teams evaluate their results, reflect on their design, and present to the class.
8 – 18
- Learn about engineering design and redesign.
- Learn about materials engineering.
- Learn how engineering can help solve society’s challenges.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- engineering design
- sports engineering
Students explore how engineers have incorporated the latest materials and manufacturing techniques to improve the performance of sports equipment. Students work in teams to construct a functional racquet out of everyday materials that can consistently hit a ball to a target. Students reflect on the experience and share with the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheet (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.