Lesson focuses on the engineering behind building a spring scale and its use as a measuring device. Students work in teams to design, build, and test their own spring scale that can measure the weight of an apple using everyday items. They compare their designs with those of other student teams and reflect on the experience.
8 – 18
- Learn about scales and measuring devices.
- Learn about engineering design and redesign.
- Learn about construction techniques
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- engineering design
Students learn spring scales and develop their own functional spring scale out of everyday items. They present and then test their scales, and compare their designs with those of other teams. They also complete a reflection sheet on the activity.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.