Lesson focuses on the engineering behind industrial sorting processes. Working as an engineering group, students then work in teams to design and build a system to sort different sized coins for packaging.
8 – 18
- Learn about engineering system.
- Learn about coin manufacturing processes.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- Manufacturing engineering and planning
- problem solving
Students learn how coins are manufactured and explore the sorting processes engineers have developed to speed sorting and packaging processes. Student teams develop a sorting process for coins, make predictions, execute their plan, troubleshoot, and evaluate their results and those of other teams.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.