This lesson focuses on how the sun’s energy can be used to heat and cool buildings. Teams of students construct passive solar houses from everyday materials. They then test their solar houses to determine how well they regulate temperature.
8 – 18
- Design and build a passive solar house
- Test and refine their designs
- Communicate their design process and results
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
Anticipated Learner Outcomes As a result of this lesson students will have:
- Designed and built a passive solar house
- Tested and refined their designs
- Communicated their design process and results
In this lesson, students work in teams of “engineers” to design and build their own solar house out of everyday items. They test their solar house, evaluate their results, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.