This lesson focuses on surgical instrument design. Teams of students construct surgical instruments from everyday materials. They then test their surgical instruments to determine how well they can perform a simulated “surgical procedure”.
8 – 18
- Design and build a surgical instrument.
- Test and refine their designs
- Communicate their design process and results
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this lesson students will have:
- Designed and built a surgical instrument
- Tested and refined their designs
- Communicated their design process and results
In this lesson, students work in teams of “engineers” to design and build their own surgical instrument out of everyday items. They test their surgical instrument, evaluate their results, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.