Lesson focuses on simple machines and how they can be found in many everyday items. Students explore the different types of simple machines, how they work, and how they are integrated into many items. Students explore common kitchen machines and identify how many simple machine types are incorporated into each item.
8 – 11
- Learn about different types of simple machines.
- Learn about engineering design.
- Be able to identify simple machines as part of daily life.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- simple machines
- engineering design
- problem solving
- societal impact of engineering
Students learn about different types of simple machines, and working in teams, evaluate several simple kitchen machines to determine how many simple machines are incorporated in each. Students complete a worksheet and present their findings to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.