Lesson focuses on engineering package designs that meet the needs of safely shipping a product. Students work in teams of “engineers” to design a package using standard materials that will safely ship a single chip through the mail to the school address.
8 – 18
- Learn about engineering product planning and design.
- Learn about meeting the needs of society.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- Package design planning and testing
- problem solving
Students learn how engineers develop packaging design requirements, and work in a team to evaluate the external stresses that engineers must consider when developing a package or product design. Students develop a plan, select materials, manufacture their package, test it, and evaluate their results. Student teams present their reflections to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.