Lesson focuses on watercraft engineering and sailing. Students work in teams to design a sailboat out of everyday objects that can catch a breeze from a fan, stay afloat with a set load, and sail four feet.
8 – 18
- Learn about marine engineering and sailing principals.
- Learn about engineering product planning and design.
- Learn about meeting the needs of society.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- watercraft engineering
- problem solving
Students explore what marine engineers and naval architects do, and work in teams to design a sailboat out of everyday objects that can catch a breeze from a fan, stay afloat with a set load, and sail four feet. Students work in teams of “engineers” to design a boat with a sail structure, test their boat, evaluate the work of other “engineering” teams, and present reflections to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.