The focus of this lesson is on rubber band powered car design. Teams of students construct rubber band powered cars from everyday materials. Students must design their cars to travel in a straight line for a distance of at least 3 meters within a 1 meter wide track.
8 – 18
- Design and construct a rubber band car
- Measure distance and calculate speed
- Test and refine their designs
- Communicate their design process and results
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will have:
- Designed and constructed a rubber band car
- Measured distance and calculated speed
- Tested and refined their designs
- Communicated their design process and results
In “Rubber Band Racers” lesson students explore rubber band car design. Students work in teams of “engineers” to design and build their own rubber band car out of everyday items. They test their rubber band cars, evaluate their results, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.