Demonstrate the concept of rotational equilibrium.
14 – 18
- Learn about the basic concepts of rotational equilibrium.
- Solve simple algebraic manipulations.
- Apply graphing techniques.
- Learn to make predictions and draw conclusions.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- rotational equilibrium
- basic algebraic equations
- making and testing predictions
Students build and test a mobile to explore the principals of rotational equilibrium. Students make predictions about the force on each of three levels of the mobile, work in teams to construct and test their predictions, analyze results and compare team results with those of the class. Designing the mobile requires the students to solve a set of two linear algebraic equations. Students solve the equations using three different methods: by substitution, by graphing the equations and finding the intersection, and by using determinants.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheet (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.