This lesson demonstrates the difference between precision and accuracy. Students design a device that can shoot a basketball free-throw shot accurately every time.
10 – 18
- Explore precision and accuracy.
- Design & build a device that can throw a free-throw shot accurately.
- Implement the engineering design process to solve the design challenge.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will have:
- Explored precision and accuracy.
- Designed & built a device that can throw a free-throw shot accurately.
- Implemented the engineering design process to solve the design challenge.
The teacher will lead a class discussion about basketball and the different kinds of shots basketball players perform. A student will demonstrate how they throw a free-throw shot in basketball. The teacher will introduce the design challenge and will discuss the difference between accuracy and precision. Each team will design & build a “robotic” basketball player that can shoot 3 free-throw shots successfully every time. During final testing and team share out, the class will keep track each team’s percentage of accuracy and precision.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.