This lesson focuses on the tools and equipment used during technical rescue operations. Teams of students construct rescue devices from everyday materials. They then test their devices to determine whether they can rescue a puppy from a sewer.
8 – 18
- Design and build a rescue device
- Test and refine their designs
- Communicate their design process and results
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this lesson students will have:
- Designed and built a rescue device
- Tested and refined their designs
- Communicated their design process and results
In this lesson, students work in teams of “engineers” to design and build their own rescue device out of everyday items. They test their rescue device, evaluate their results, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.