Students will learn about the challenges waste management centers face and different methods they use to sort recycling. In small teams, students will brainstorm and design a system to sort a mixed-up recycling bin. Teams will share their designs, and the class will vote on ideas they want to move forward with. The class will then work to build and test a recycling sorter.
8 – 14
Introduce students to:
- Issues surrounding single-stream recycling and how materials recovery facilities (MRFs) work.
- How they can support effective recycling in their community.
- Creative technology being used to clean up trash, litter, and pollution.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will be able to:
- Plan, design, and build a recycling sorting system.
- Work effectively in a team.
- Evaluate peer designs.
- Understand the issues and challenges involved in single-stream recycling
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.