Lesson focuses on the use of weight scales and measurement by manufacturing engineers. Teams of students are posed with the challenge of developing a system to fill jars with a specific weight or count of products such as marbles or paperclips.
11 – 18
- Learn about manufacturing engineering.
- Learn about manufacturing systems.
- Learn about weight packaging and consistency.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- manufacturing engineering
- problem solving
Students learn how manufacturing engineers develop systems for creating consistent products. They work in a team to create a system that delivers a consistent weight or count of marbles or paperclips to a series of jars. Teams plan their system, execute the system, evaluate their own results and that of other students, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.