Lesson focuses on the concept of force and the use of pulleys to reduce required force.
8 – 11
- Learn about pulleys and pulley systems.
- Learn how using multiple pulleys can dramatically reduce required force.
- Learn how pulley systems are used in machines and impact everyday life.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- work reduction
- problem solving
Students learn how pulleys work, and explore how multiple pulleys used in sequence can reduce required force to move an object. Topics examined include force, pulleys, and problem solving. Students work in teams to design a pulley system to require the least amount of force to move a weight.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.