This lesson focuses on devices that are used to detect air pollution. Teams of students construct outdoor air pollution detectors from everyday materials. They then test their devices to see how much particulate pollutants they can capture.
8 – 18
- Design and build an outdoor air pollution detector
- Test and refine their designs
- Communicate their design process and results
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this lesson students will have:
- Designed and built an outdoor air pollution detector
- Tested and refined their designs
- Communicated their design process and results
In this lesson, students work in teams of “engineers” to design and build their own outdoor air pollution detectors out of everyday items. They then test their devices, evaluate their results, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.