Lesson focuses on how engineers develop pipeline systems to transport oil, water, gas, and other materials over very long distances. Students work in teams of “engineers” to develop a pipeline system to transport both a golf ball and ping pong ball across the classroom terrain.
8 – 18
- Learn how civil engineers approach large scale problem solving.
- Learn how engineering teams address problem solving.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- engineering design
- problem solving
Students learn how land and weather, distance, and materials to be transported impact engineering plans. Students work in teams of “engineers” to design a pipeline to transport both a golf ball and ping pong ball from one end of the classroom to another with obstacles and turns. Students develop a plan/drawing, execute their pipeline plan, and evaluate the strategies employed by other student teams.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.