Lesson focuses on how engineers have to evaluate multiple structural, economic, and environmental factors when moving a building.
8 – 18
- Learn how the environment impacts civil engineering.
- Learn how structures can be moved.
- Learn how engineering teams address problem solving.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- structural engineering and design
- problem solving
Students learn how structural, economic, and environmental factors must be evaluated when planning to move a lighthouse or other building. Students work in teams to plan the safe and efficient move of a tower of blocks on a desk in a classroom, execute their plan, and evaluate the strategies employed by other student teams.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.