This lesson develops principles of the effect of sunlight on the Earth’s surface. Students will explore the effects of the location of the sun on shadow formation, and design and build a structure to hide a groundhog’s shadow.
5 – 8
Introduce students to:
- All children will make observations to determine the effect of sunlight on the Earth’s surface
- All children will use tools and materials to design and build a structure that will block the light from the sun.
- All children will develop a simple sketch, drawing.
- Most children will be able to use their own words to describe the activity and the effects of the sun on the Earth’s surface.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will be able to:
- Design a model/prototype to protect an animal from the sun
- Describe the effects of the sun and identify shadows
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.