This lesson explores LEDs and resistors and reviews the differences between parallel and series circuit design and functions.
8 – 12
- Learn about LEDs, their application and history.
- Learn about resistors and their function in electrical circuitry.
- Learn about current flow and the operational differences between series and parallel circuits.
- Learn to predict outcomes and draw conclusions.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- Resistor functions
- parallel and series circuits
- circuits and current flow
- making and testing predictions
Expanding on understanding of simple circuits, this lesson explores LEDs and resistors and reviews the differences between parallel and series circuit design and functions. Note: This lesson plan is designed for classroom use only, with supervision by a teacher familiar with electrical and electronic concepts. (Note: For older or more advanced students, consider using TryEngineering’s Voltage Divider or Ohm’s Law lessons.)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.