Students explore potential and kinetic energy while working in teams to design and build an interactive gumball machine.
10 – 18
- Explore potential and kinetic energy.
- Design & build an interactive gumball machine.
- Implement the engineering design process to solve the design challenge.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will have:
- Explored potential and kinetic energy
- Designed & built a interactive gumball dispenser
- Implemented the engineering design process to solve the design challenge.
Students will begin this lesson by reading about the history of gumball machines. Next, students will work in teams to design and build a gumball slide. Students will contemplate the science behind the slide and answer questions about gravity, kinetic energy, and potential energy. Finally teams build upon their slides and design and build devices that will dispense gumballs in a fun and innovative way!
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.