Demonstrating the concept of conducting or insulating electricity. Note: This lesson plan is designed for classroom use only, with supervision by a teacher familiar with electrical and electronic concepts.
8 – 11
- Learn about the electrical properties of different materials.
- Learn how conductors and insulators react to electric current.
- Solve simple algebraic manipulations involving squares and square roots.
- Learn to make predictions and draw conclusions.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- electrical properties
- conductors and insulators
- circuits and current
- making and testing predictions
Students test a variety of materials in a circuit to determine whether each item behaves as an insulator or a conductor. Students make predictions about each item and discuss the results in teams and as a class. Student teams also construct their own circuit tester using wires, batteries, and a bulb.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheet (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.