Lesson focuses on how infrared technology is used by engineers creating equipment and system for a variety of industries. Teams of students explore the application of infrared in remote controls, test materials that encourage or prevent infrared transmission, and develop systems that allow transmission of infrared in restricted environments.
8 – 18
- Learn about infrared technology.
- Learn about how engineers incorporate different technologies in product and system designs.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- infrared light and technology
- engineering product development and testing
- problem solving
Students learn how infrared technology has been integrated into products and systems serving most industries. Student teams test the limitations of infrared using a television remote control and devise a plan for adapting infrared to work around a corner or between two rooms. Teams test their plan, troubleshoot, evaluate their own work and that of other students, and present to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.