Lesson focuses on engineering applications of biometric technologies for identification or security applications. After exploring hand geometry biometrics, students work in teams of “engineers” to evaluate pros and cons of incorporating a hand recognition biometric technology into a new security system for a museum.
8 – 18
- Learn about biometrics technology.
- Learn about engineering product planning and design.
- Learn about meeting the needs of society.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- biometrics technology
- problem solving
Students learn how biometrics technologies have been used worldwide to address security and identification systems. Student teams are then challenged with evaluating and deciding whether a hand geometry-based biometric technology would be the right choice for admitting employees to a museum. Student teams present their recommendations to other teams.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.