Lesson focuses on brakes, force, and friction, using bicycle rim brakes to demonstrate basic braking mechanisms to stop, slow, or prevent motion.
8 – 18
- Learn about braking systems.
- Learn about force and friction.
- Learn about the interaction between different materials.
- Learn about teamwork and the engineering problem solving/design process.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- force and friction
- impact of engineering and
- technology on society
- engineering problem solving
Students learn about how basic rim bicycle brakes work, and discuss force and friction. Students work in teams to experience a simple braking system using three different materials, they discuss advantages of each, develop recommend changes to improve bicycle braking systems, and present to class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
- Student Worksheet (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.