Lesson focuses on how binary codes function and binary applications for computer engineers. The lesson offers students an activity to learn to download software and read online binary clock, and advanced students an opportunity to build one from a kit.
8 – 18
- Learn about binary code and its applications in computing.
- Learn about downloading, running, and managing software applications.
- Learn about wiring, and manufacturing of a simple electronic device.
- Learn how engineering teams approach project work.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- binary code
- electronic product design
- problem solving
Students learn about binary code, and how it is used in computers and other equipment. Students explore a simple use of binary code as a clock. More advanced student assemble a working binary clock.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.