Lesson focuses on the concept of friction and the use of ball bearings to reduce friction.
8 – 18
- Learn about friction.
- Learn about ball bearings.
- Learn how engineers improved ball bearings and the development of roller bearings.
- Learn how roller/ball bearings are used in machines and impact everyday life.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- ball bearings
- engineering design
- problem solving
Students learn about friction and how ball bearings reduce friction and extend the life of machines. Topics examined include friction, ball bearings, engineering design, and problem solving. Students work in teams using marbles to simulate ball bearings.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.