Lesson focuses on the concept of electron flow through the demonstration of electrical circuits in a flashlight, and how batteries operate.
8 – 11
- Learn how switches control the flow of electricity.
- Learn to draw basic electric schematic diagrams.
- Learn how the electric circuit and battery within a flashlight operates.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- circuits and current
- basic electrical schematic diagrams
Students learn how batteries work, and explore the simple circuit system found in a standard flashlight. Topics examined include batteries, electron flow, switches, and bulbs. Students disassemble a flashlight and also document their findings by creating schematics of flashlight electric circuits.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.