Lesson focuses on exploring how the development of global positioning systems has revolutionized both defense and consumer product engineering. Students work in teams to understand the technology behind GPS, explore current applications, and brainstorm new applications for global use of GPS. They use both a simple GPS handheld device and online resources to understand the functioning and potential of this engineering technology.
8 – 18
- Learn about global positioning systems.
- Learn about engineering design.
- Learn how engineering can help solve society’s challenges.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- global positioning systems
- interaction of technology and societal issues
- engineering design
Students explore the impact of how technology can positively impact the world by learning about global positioning systems. Students explore the technology behind GPS, find out about current applications, and work a part of an “engineering team” to brainstorm other applications of GPS to help solve world problems. Student teams present their new applications to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.