Lesson focuses on how nanotechnology has impacted our society and how engineers have learned to explore the world at the nanoscale. Students participate in hands-on activities to understand exactly how small the nanoscale is, explore how surface area changes at the nano scale, and work in teams to develop futuristic applications of nanotechnology.
8 – 14
- Learn about nanotechnology.
- Learn about scale.
- Learn about surface area.
- Learn about engineering design.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- problem solving
Students learn how engineers working at the nanoscale have a greater surface area to work with. Students work in teams to explore increasing surface area as large blocks are cut to multiple, smaller parts. They then explore a challenge of determining how nanotechnology might help engineers improve a product or a process, and present their proposal to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.