Lesson focuses on the engineering behind elevators. Teams of students explore principles and requirements of vertical travel, then design and construct a working elevator to service a toy car garage using wheels, pulleys, string, cardboard and other materials.
11 – 18
- Learn about engineering design.
- Learn about elevator operations.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- mechanical engineering and design
- problem solving
Students learn how elevators meet human needs, explore how they work, and then work in teams to develop a design for their own elevator to service a toy car garage. Teams plan their system, using materials provided, draw their design, build it, troubleshoot as needed, evaluate their own work and that of other students, and then present their observations to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.