Lesson focuses on the different uses of dams and how they are engineered. Students work in teams to develop a system of damming water in a trough. The system must completely hold back the water and also have a way of executing a controlled release.
8 – 18
- Learn about dams.
- Learn about engineering design and redesign.
- Learn how engineering can help solve society’s challenges.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- structural design and engineering
- engineering design
Students explore the multiple uses of dams and how they solve problems. They learn about different types of dams, consider material options, build a dam in a classroom water trough, test it, and share their experiences with the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.