Demonstrate how electric circuits can be controlled with a simple switch. Note: This lesson plan is designed for classroom use only, with supervision by a teacher familiar with electrical and electronic concepts.
8 – 11
- Learn how switches control the flow of electricity.
- Learn to draw basic wiring diagrams.
- Learn to predict outcomes and draw conclusions.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- circuits and current
- basic electrical diagrams
- making predictions and testing a hypothesis
The Electric Switches activity encourages students to design a simple switch into an electric circuit. Students work in teams to create their design with wires, batteries, a bulb, and a simple switch. They also develop a schematic of their electrical diagram. Then student groups compare results and discuss findings.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.