Students will learn about electricity and circuits by using conductive and insulating dough to build creative electric creations. This activity is based on the work of Dr. AnnMarie Thomas and her team at the University of St. Thomas.
8 – 14
Introduce students to:
- The basic concepts of electricity and electrical circuits.
- Concepts of electrical insulation and conduction.
- How to build circuits and how short circuits occur.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will be able to:
- Create a working circuit.
- Build a model out of dough with electric features such as lights, fans, motors, etc.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.
Resources from our TryEngineering Community
Thanks to Matt Francis, Ph.D., IEEE East Area Chair, Region 5 for sharing.