Lesson focuses on the engineering behind building framing for structures, and explores examples of geodesic domes and other buildings. Students work in teams to design and build a small dome frame out of everyday items that can hold a weight on top without collapsing.
8 – 18
- Learn about engineering design and redesign.
- Learn about construction techniques
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- engineering design
Students learn about domes and work in teams to construct their own using everyday materials. They will design the frame for their dome on paper, gather materials, construct their dome, test it, and present their work to the class. They also complete a reflection sheet on the activity.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.