Lesson focuses on how computerized barcodes have improved efficiency in product distribution; explores the barcoding process and engineering design.
8 – 18
- Learn about encoding systems — specifically barcodes — and decoding technology.
- Learn about how barcodes interface with computer systems.
- Learn about how barcodes have improved distribution efficiency and pricing accuracy of manufactured products.
- Learn how the development of barcodes has impacted everyday life.
- Learn about teamwork and engineering problem solving in groups.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
Students learn about how computer coding systems have impacted everyday life, including distribution of products, management of inventory, and pricing at retail outlets and online websites. Topics examined include barcodes, and the impact of computerized scanning/pricing/inventory systems. Students work in teams to design an improved information embedding system, learn how the computer coding/decoding works, and solve underlying mathematical formulas to check barcodes.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.