Develop a working model of a nail clipper.
8 – 18
- Explore the basic principles of engineering design.
- Learn how to build a model of a simple machine.
- Explore how a simple machine such as a nail clipper works.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- Principles of engineering design
- Properties of objects and materials
- Model making
- Simple machines
Students design and build a working model of a nail clipper. Through the process, students explore simple machine construction and the process of model making, as well as learn about simple machines – a nail clipper is an example of a first class lever.
- Teacher Resource Sheets (attached)
- Student Activity Guide (attached)
- Materials Needed:
- foam board
- scotch tape
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.