Lesson focuses on how engineers and others have developed and improved the manufacturing of recycled paper. Students work in teams to recycle and manufacture their own recycled paper while learning how recycled paper is manufactured on a larger scale in paper facilities. Student teams evaluate current processes for creating paper and develop improvement to the procedure.
8 – 18
- Learn about recycled paper manufacturing.
- Learn about re-engineering.
- Learn how engineering can help solve society’s challenges.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- paper recycling
- manufacturing processes
- engineering design
Students learn about how chemical engineers and others work together to create recycled paper. They work in teams to create their own recycled paper — improving upon current methods — compare the process to large scale recycled paper manufacturing, and present reflections to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.