Lesson focuses on the engineering of adaptive or assistive devices, such as prosthetic devices, wheelchairs, eyeglasses, grab bars, hearing aids, lifts, or braces.
8 – 18
- Learn about adaptive devices.
- Learn about how ongoing changes to adaptive devices have impacted everyday life.
- Learn about teamwork and the engineering problem solving/design process.
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
- adaptive devices
- impact of engineering and technology on society
- engineering problem solving
Students learn about how the engineering behind adaptive devices has impacted everyday life. Topics examined include problem solving, teamwork, and the engineering design process. Students work in teams to disassemble a product, evaluate the component parts, and recommend changes to improve functionality through redesign and material selection.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.