Students will explore how 3D printers work. Then, working in pairs, they will use the same methods used by 3D printers to create a 3D model of an object.
8 – 14
Introduce students to:
- 3D printers, additive manufacturing, and how 3D printing works
- CAD and STL files used in 3D printing
Anticipated Learner Outcomes
As a result of this activity, students will be able to:
- Take measurements of an object in order to build a model using a form of additive manufacturing similar to a 3D printer
- Understand the process of additive manufacturing and the information required to 3D print an object
- Work in pairs effectively
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.