A bionic arm combines robotics, biotechnology, and electronics to recreate the functions of the human arm. Advances in bionics can improve the lives of millions of people with lost limbs.
In this challenge you will virtually design and test a robotic arm, and learn how engineers create working artificial arms.
- Discover the different components used to make a bionic arm.
- Test your arm against several criteria commonly used in the construction of real robotic arms.
- Work with a budget to choose the components you think will create the best arm, and see how it performs.
Recommended System Requirements
- Shockwave Player 11 (full installer). Click here to download the Shockwave player
- Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS 10.4 or higher
- Browser: Internet Explorer 6 or higher, Firefox 3 or higher, Safari 3 or higher, Opera 8 or higher, Google Chrome 1 or higher.
- If you have any trouble getting the game to load, you may need to uninstall your Shockwave player and run the Shockwave Full Installer
- If you are running Firefox on the Mac, please try using Safari.
- If you have a slow Internet connection, please be patient while the game loads
Learn More About Bionic Arms
- Bionics on Wikipedia
- Robot Arm Lesson Plan on TryEngineering
- Dean Kamen’s Bionic Arm
- How to Build a Robot Arm
- The Pentagon’s Bionic Arm
- Do it yourself Bionic Arm
- iLimb bionic hand
- World’s First Commercial Bionic Hand
- Vanderbilt’s Rocket Powered Prosthetic Arm
- Airic’s Arm