facebook twitter mail share

Are there any professional examinations available in the electronics and telecommunications engineering field? Where do I get the listings of these examinations, and how do I apply for them? Who is eligible to write such examinations?

We assume that by "professional examinations" you refer to examinations that lead to a license to practice engineering. Such examinations are administered by various governmental bodies (sometimes a ministry in the central or federal government, sometimes an agency of a State or a Province). They are often offered at more than one level (e.g., entry level, advanced level) and provide the successful test taker with a credential such as a "Professional Engineer." In many jurisdictions this credential has legal ramifications. Practitioners that hold the title are allowed to perform some functions (such as sign and seal certain kinds of engineering plans) that other practitioners are not allowed to undertake.

In almost all jurisdictions the exams are administered only to individuals who have graduated, or are about to graduate, from a relavant academic program which is accredited.

The title "engineer" is legally protected in some jurisdictions (such as many US States); individuals who have not passed the requisite exams and received a State License are not allowed to hold the "engineer" title, nor offer engineering services to the public. In other regions, such as the United Kingdom, "engineer" is unregulated, but more specific titles (e.g., "Chartered Engineer" and "Incorporated Engineer") are legally protected.

Examinations that lead to titles such as "Professional Engineer" or to intermediate titles are often composed by panels of experts from Academia and Industry convened for that purpose by advisory bodies to the government or by professional associations that lend assistance to the government.

A. United States

The process followed by most jurisdictions in the United States is described at the website of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) thus:

Each state and territory varies slightly, but in general, there is a four-step process required to obtain engineering licensure (see below).

Step 1: Graduation

The first step is graduating from an ABET-accredited engineering program at a college or university. ABET stands for Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, the nationally recognized accrediting organization for engineering and technology curricula.

Step 2: FE Exam

The first exam in the licensure process is the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE). This exam is offered in April and October every year. Most students take the exam right before graduation or soon after while the technical information they've studied is still fresh in their minds. Once you pass the exam, you are classified as an intern, also known as Engineering Intern (EI) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT).

Step 3: Work Experience

After passing the FE exam, you will continue your journey toward professional licensure by gaining engineering experience. Many jurisdictions have specific requirements about the type of experience you need to gain. Most require that you gain experience under the supervision of someone who is already licensed, and that your experience involve increasing levels of responsibility. Once you begin work, contact your licensing board to find out what experience is needed and talk with professional engineers in your company to find out how you can gain this experience.

Step 4: PE Exam

Once you have gained the appropriate experience required, you can take the second exam in the licensure process, the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE). This exam is given in a variety of engineering disciplines. Most disciplines are offered in both April and October, but some are offered only in October.

After completing all the steps in the engineering licensure process—education, experience, and examinations—you are eligible for licensure by your licensing board. Once you are granted licensure, you may use the distinguished designation "professional engineer," or P.E.

B. Canada

The process of licensure in Canada is described by the Canadian Council of Professional Engineers (CCPE) thus:

Normally, to be licensed as a professional engineer by a provincial or territorial engineering association, candidates must:

(1) Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (Citizenship or permanent resident status is required to apply for licensure. It is not possible to be licensed before immigrating to Canada.)

(2) Possess an undergraduate (Bachelor's level) degree in engineering from a recognized Canadian university program, or possess an otherwise recognized engineering degree and complete an assigned exam program. Recognition of degree equivalency by a Canadian university or other organization is unrelated to recognition of your degree by the CCPE and its constituent associations.

(3) Complete three or four years of engineering work, depending on the association. Experience obtained outside Canada may be acceptable if sufficient documentation is provided. A minimum of 12 months experience must be in a Canadian environment to ensure that you are familiar with Canadian codes and standards.

(4) Write and pass a professional practice examination on professional practice, ethics, engineering law and liability.

(5) Be of good character and reputation.

(6) Be proficient in English (French in Quebec, English or French in New Brunswick).

C. The United Kingdom

The process of registration in Britain is described by Engineering Council UK. Incorporated Engineer is a first-cycle qualification for Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Science degree holders. Chartered Engineer is a second-cycle qualification usually reserved for holders of integrated Master of Engineering degrees or Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Science plus Master of Science degrees. Both IEng and CEng require substantial professional experience, a professional review and interview. There are no written exams

ECUK emphasizes the professional and prestige benefit of registration rather than any legal advantages, except that most registered engineers are eligible to be included in the International Professional Engineer Registry that may assist them with mobility and getting recognition outside the UK.

D. Other countries

Registration in Australia is governed by the National Engineering Registration Board

For information on professional licensing in France, please see the website of SNIPF.

The website of the The Institute of Professional Engineers, Japan provides information on professional licensing in this country.

For New Zealand see the website of IPENZ.

Professional licensure in Pakistan is governed by the Pakistan Engineering Council .

If you are interested in professional registration in South Africa, look for the Registration tab on the website of the Engineering Council of South Africa.

Engineering Majors

More than 25 major specialties are recognized in the fields of engineering and engineering technology. Select a degree field from the list below to find out more:


Get Involved!

Find opportunities for pre- university, undergraduate, and graduate students all over the world.




Life of an Engineer

Find out what it takes to be a successful engineering student and professional engineer. A series of profiles will help you understand the challenges and rewards you might face.


Quickstart: we have resources for Students, Parents, Teachers, and Guidance Counselors